" If your dog is fat you are not getting enough exercise"

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dwarf Genes

2009-2010 was the year of the Dachshunds.  A good 40%-50% of my clients were Dachshunds. Most of them came to me in pain and with a gait issue, either dragging their hind legs or walking like they had a few to many drinks.  This is unfortunately a story I hear and see to often due to dwarf genes found in Dachshunds, Basset Hounds, Beagles etc. These breeds of dogs are called Chondrodystropic (referring to abnormal cartilage) breeds and are  prone to Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD).  The disc is located in-between the vertebra and is made of cartilage and can degenerate (thin), calcify, bulge or rupture causing pain, in-coordination, wobbly gait or paralysis.  IVDD often occurs at a much faster rate in Chondrodystropic breeds and can be seen in some dogs as young as 6 months. Most of the dogs I've worked with have been around 2-6 years of age.  Some come in after an injury like jumping out of the car or off of the bed/couch and in some it just seems to come on over the course of a few days.  These dogs are usually referred to me after they've been to their primary veterinarian, have had x-rays, are on a course of anti-inflammatories and pain medications and their owners don't know what else to do and do not want to have surgery.  To this date I've never had 1 dog that hasn't walked after it came to me down.  Some it takes as little as a week to get them up and moving and my longest took about 3 months but they can now all walk and have regained their quality of life back. 
With all of the Dachshunds I met and worked with I started to fall in love with their cute stubby legs and attention craving personalities.  In 2009 I got Winston and although I know way to well of the issues these dogs can have with their backs I figured that if heaven forbid, my little Winston's back gets bad that at least I can adjust him and work on him daily until he is up and well again.
There are a few things you can do to help prevent and or reduce the symptoms of IVDD in your pet by, #1: making sure they are not overweight and get plenty of exercise, #2: reduce jumping up and down as much as possible (build ramps or steps if necessary or lift up or down) and #3: have your pet on a glucosamine supplement to help keep their joints strong.
Winston

1 comment:

  1. oh...he is so cute!! love his spots...thanks so much for your time! i've enjoyed looking around your blog ;)

    brooke.

    ReplyDelete